I don’t belong in the kitchen but you’ll find me in there anyway. I burn toast, under-cook eggs, over-cook pasta, and don’t put enough salt on anything. My go-to meal is avocado toast and scrambled eggs.
I shouldn’t be allowed to hold sharp knives or peelers (I nearly lost a nail the other day) BUT as a 27-year-old adult, I feel as though I need to learn how to cook. I need to learn how to cook well and fast. My plan is to begin with easy meals and progress very slowly to more intensive ones. I’m not even going to give baking a try – not any time soon.
A few Sunday’s ago I decided to make the easiest soup in the world; a minestrone. Apart from all of the chopping and the peeling of the potatoes it was pretty straightforward.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot, throw in chopped onions
- Once caramelized, add in chopped carrots and celery – let those cook for a minute
- Add in the canned diced tomatoes and beef stock (if you need more broth, add water)
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Let that simmer and add in your diced potatoes, chopped zucchini, green beans, and Romano beans
- Let this cook until the potatoes, zucchini, and green beans are soft (but not mush)
- Add in a bunch of spinach – once that’s wilted you’re ready to eat!
I understand that the above isn’t a recipe and I didn’t provide an ingredient list. It doesn’t have measurements or proper terminology but that’s how I’ve always watched my mom cook. She rarely measures anything and tastes the food as she cooks. She cooks from her heat and that is how I hope to cook some day.
What are your favourite homemade meals? Let me know!